1. Pumpkin swirl coffee from Dunkin Donuts. If I could, this is how I would start every day from around September 15 until Thanksgiving (after that, bring on the peppermint mochas!).
2. Butternut squash lasagna. Recipe from Women’s Day. I made this over the weekend, and it has lasted for three dinners and three single serve lunches. And wow, is it good. It might be one of the best dinners I have ever made. I cannot wait for my children to appreciate more complex yellow food. And sage and nutmeg. One day. 3. Corn maze. We headed over to the Athens Corn Maze on Saturday. Had a ball. Definitely did not find all six checkpoints in the maze, and we would probably still be in there if we didn’t have a map. The best thing about the corn maze was the corn box. Really, just a box full of corn kernels for the kids to play in. They loved it. Riley especially. Adrian took a little break to go visit with the animals. He said hi to every bunny, duck, pig, and horse. So cute. 4. Fantasy football. Sure, my bench team usually beats the team I put in, but I am on a two-game winning streak! I like that this is something Shawn and I do together. It keeps us in touch with some of our distance friends, and adds a little fun to our Sunday afternoons.
5. Halloween cakes. Last night, the kids helped me make and decorate a confetti cake. They decked the thing out with all sorts of sprinkles and candy corn. I told them this was our warm-up Halloween cake, seeing as how it is still only September.
6. Candy corn. The kids convinced me to get our first bag of candy corn at the store on Sunday. But really. I have a big Halloween bowl I just set out in the dining room, and what is a big Halloween bowl without candy corn? (Adrian wanted some last night, and to reach the bowl, he pushed over our play table from Ikea and climbed right on up. Such a resourceful candy-holic! Boy after my own heart.)
7. Fall projects. My parents brought the kids Halloween crafts and an activity book. We’ve been stringing together spider webs and coloring monsters like mad around here. This weekend, I may have the kids help me make twig candle-holders.
8. Next week, the weather might be cool enough to break out our new fire-pit! I’ve already bought chocolate for our first round of s’mores.
Did I mention this is my favorite time of the year?