I guess one of my themes this week is vegetables, huh? First lettuce, now this. I’m going to run with it!
While I have to talk myself into eating fruit, I love vegetables and I love preparing them in fun, new ways. Along the way, I hope my kids fall in love with vegetables too. They have their favorites right now – peas, broccoli, corn – and hopefully their tastes will broaden with time. But for now, I’m trying to be a little sneaky. Call it something greasy, and you’ve got a mouth-watering way to eat carrots, squash, cauliflower, and more. Everyone craves chips, fries, tots, and fritters. Why not make them out of veggies?
Here’s a look at my greasy-food-turned-vegetable goldmine. Some I’ve made, some I’ve tried, and some I can’t wait to try.
1. I made these carrot fries yesterday. Love fries. And these came out nice and soft, which is actually how I like my fries. Shawn said they still tasted like carrots, which was true, but they seemed a lot like fries because of the seasoning and shape (I used a little bit of olive oil, breadcrumbs, and fry seasoning). Even Adrian liked them. Very tasty and easy to make!
2. Tonight we are going to have squash chips. My dad made these when he was visiting us, and I saw a picture of them on Pinterest the other day.
3. Zucchini tots. These came together really easily, smelled great while cooking, and look really cute in the mini-muffin pans. The middles were a little soft, but the flavor was great.
4. Broccoli fritters. I called these green balls of goodness, but Riley still wasn’t a fan. I thought they were delicious.
5. Cauliflower tots are on my list to attempt as soon as we get another cauliflower in our basket!
6. How about mac and cheese, cauliflower-style...
9. Zucchini pizza slices. Or maybe you could make these as boats?
10. I suppose the possibilities are nearly endless! I may have to try a version of carrot tots or squash fries. Maybe a squash pizza crust or carrot mac and cheese. Love the versatility of vegetables! And thank you, Pinterest, for the inspiration! I may need a new board: Greasy Veg Goodness.